So you want to control your Windows 7 volume through a keyboard shortcut without using a multimedia keyboard? There’s no obvious way to do this, but there is a simple way to do it and it doesn’t require any 3rd party external software.
1) click your start menu. Type ‘sndvol” in the search box at the bottom
2) Right-click-drag the sndvol program icon to your desktop and select the ‘Create shortcuts here’ option
3) Right click on the new shortcut and hit properties
4) Go to the shortcut tab, and click inside the “shortcut key” box.
5) Make your shortcut key combo. For example I use ALT + F12. Hit apply and OK to close the dialogue box.
Now you can control your windows master volume using your keyboard up and down keys when you summon the program through your new keyboard shortcut. But beware – if you move the shortcut from your desktop to somewhere else, the keyboard shortcut stops working.